Click here for the latest on RunEatGossip »

Saturday, April 28, 2007

NB Real Run Club Terrain Race

It is 5 am. The Mrs gave me a kick and told me to get up and close the windows. It was raining cats and dogs. Good! Now I can sleep until 8am, than go down to Bedok Reservoir and collect my goodie bag. Unfortunately, the rain stopped about 6.30 and so reluctantly I dragged myself out of bed to go for this inaugural race organised by the Home Team Real Run Club.

Since the day I heard about this race, I had wondered how they were going to squeeze 1000 people into that small track and run 2 rounds to boot. Maybe because of the rain, but when we reached there at 7.10, there was relatively few people around. For the first time ever, there was very few runners from sgrunners. Only met TLR, Aerosoclan, Readytorace and Lucky. Only much later, was I introduced to Sywong by TLR. TLR also pointed out Juwatim to me. Juwatim incidentally came in 10th position. Also managed to meet up with Ephraim from the RL TNR & Molly's uncle. Interestingly, he told us that to run a good timing for Bedok Res, just divided our age by 2 and that should be the timing for 1 round. So since I am 44, that means 1 round for me should be 22mins? Does it mean somebody who is 20 years ago, should take not more than 10 minutes for 1 round????

The race started at 7.35am. Since there wasn't so many people, I estimated less than a 1000, we were lucky and managed to be in front but cannot run means cannot run go in front also no use. Before long, we were overtook by a whole lot of people. I ran side by side with Lucky for a while before he moved forward. M was trailing me. Reached the 1km mark in about 6+ mins. There was a lot of puddles and spent more time concentrating on not stepping into them. At the end of the first round, my time was 23:07 which surprised me since I didn't think I was going that fast. Maybe the cool weather helped. Into the 2nd round, M caught up with me. Was a bit surprised but didn't want to lose to her so pick up some speed. To my surprise, after some time, she caught up again. So we continued like this - I ran ahead she chased and catch up.
Finished the race in 47:35 minutes with M just 3 seconds behind in 47:35. that means the 2nd round took 24:25 which was another surprising since I thought I ran faster in the second round.

The goodie bag was disappointing. Only 1 string bag and 1 t-shirt. Design quite nice but not NB. So what did the NB sponsored?

2 comments:

  1. if i am not wrong NB only sponsor major events like RealRun at Sentosa which includes more variety age group.

    **nigel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yah hor just realised NB not sponsoring this event. My mistake. so malu:(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin