Click here for the latest on RunEatGossip »

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Quest for New Shoes 1

Unfortunately for me, somehow I am now staring at a situation where I need to replace all 4 pairs of my running shoes at one go. So that's going to burn a big big hole in the pocket and as I realise for the past few days as I hunt around, it's not so easy and not as enjoyable as I thought.

The first pair to be replaced is the Asics 2120. This was bought in Dec 2007 and is my primary race shoe. To date it hasonly  clocked 499km but seen me through all the long races except last year SCSM. Probably can last a little bit more but the cushioning is no longer there. I am not considering a one for one replacement of the Asics at the moment as Asics has got too damn expensive! Moreover, I am also contemplating moving away from stability shoe and going to a shoe designed more for mid foot running. With that in mind, I went down to the New Balance store to tried out the M800. Unfortunately, the largest size for this series is only size 11 and I am a size 12!. So sad. So it's back to NB and the choice is down to the 769, 1063 or 904. The latter 2 being cushioning shoe.

The next pair of shoe to be replaced is the North Face Arnuva 50 Boa bought in March 2008. Just over a year old but it has clocked up some 500 + km more than I thought it capable of. Worn mainly for running at Bedok Reservoir, and a few short races, it will always be remembered as the shoe that gave me 5 black toe nails after the SCSM. So the replacement is not going to be a NF. At the moment, I would like to have another trail shoe never mind that there are no real trail in Sg other than MR which I don't go that often. Top of my list is a pair of Adidas or Brooks. Adidas because I haven't tried on a pair of real Adidas running shoe before. The one I am eyeing is the Revolt which is going for a 30% discount at the outlet at Tampines 1.  Likewise I never own a pair of Brooks before and with Sportslink giving 20% off, the Cascadia 4 is very tempting especially since it is very much cheaper than the Revolt. Actually what I want is not a pure trail shoe but an all terrain shoes suitable for light trail and road and those are carried by NB only if I am not wrong. 

So these are the choices for the time being. Headache. Which one to pick? At the end of day, I think I will likely make my decision on 2 factors :- price and of course colour and all the above shoes have at least one colour in common.  ha ha ha

4 comments:

  1. I thought that medial stability means it is a stability shoe?

    904 is a lightweight trainer with medial stability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodan,

    U are right. The 904 is a stability shoes. My mistakes as I assumed stability shoes are usually not grouped under Lightweight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no such thing as a good pair of running shoes. Running shoes are the only piece of equipment required for running, and the importance of finding a running shoe that fits well and provides the correct support for your foot is overstated. The shoe you select to run in does not matter. No shoe is wrong or harmful. You should select the cheapest pair of running shoes and then get out there and run. I have been running in the same pair of running shoes for over 30 years. They are worn out but they are comfortable. People have said that running shoes can cause injury for a variety of reasons: Improper fit, poor support, too little or too much cushion, or simply being worn out. These people that say these things are CRAZY. None of these things matter when running. Just get out there and run.

    It is not worth the time, money, or effort to find a running shoe that is right for you. There is no reason to do a bunch of research, or consult a professional about running shoes. People have put too much emphasis on the gear. I can run over 32 mph in my old shoes. I have outrun bears, birds, dogs, cats, bumble bees and yellow jackets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Dan. Like your sentiments but from where you come from maybe no need to replace shoes but they stinks to high heaven here in our tropical heat. And its a pleasure not a chore to look for shoes.
    And love your website.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin