Pages

Monday, June 08, 2009

Crazyy or what

Jeanette Wang in one of her post asked whether she was çrazy'to take part in the Ultra Marathon. The response from her blog readers were predictally a resounding 'no' with a minority dissents including one from mio.

Her response to my comments was and I quote: i don’t think endurance athletes are crazy… i think they’re just tougher mentally…""

I think she missed the point of this crazy issue. To me, anybody who attempts something that challenge the human body beyond its normal threshold are abnormal. And by this, I don't just include the ultra marathon runners, but also mountaineers, swimmers, sailors even the guy who climb building for the fun of it. And what do I mean by abnormal? Simple lor - crazy because a person need to be a little bit crazy to risk life and limbs to do something that most time have no physical rewards and do it only because it is a challenge of one own's ability or because the mountain is there etc. My point is .. for a person to leave behind loves one to go for extended stretch to climb mountains, run the desert, swim the ocean, sail the high seas and risk injury and death...there has to be something that set him/her apart from normal human being. Some call it adverture lust but behind every irrational decision made, and I am certain the decision are irrational, there has to be that little bit of something extra.... something I call a streak of craziness or as my mother loves to say 'siao'!

It is not about mental toughness. That can only comes in after starting the event and propel one to finish what the crazy mind starts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin