Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

CFS and CIS

The Today newspaper ran an article yesterday on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Apparently, a person can have too much exercise and not just go into a rut but suffer from a real medical condition whereby the person is too tired - in extreme case - to even get out of bed!

Hmmm that sounds like me...most days (actually its not most days but everyday)
- I don't even want to get out of bed and I just wanna lie around and laze the whole day through. :)

Anyway, I don't know about CFS but a lot of the runners I know suffer from CIS.

Day in day out when I surf the forum, I read of people with persistent injuries, ITB, knee pain blah blah blah yet these people continue to run like there is no tomorrow and than complain the injury never go away. Typically, he or she get ITB, shin splint, rest a few days and than continue running. Run 5km no pain declared himself/herself cured and jump back to long distance and wham, the injury surface again and each time it become worse and worse. And so the pattern repeats itself. End result - CIS - continuous injury syndrome! And the horror of it all - some of these people see the injury as some sort of badge of honour - like a passing or age rites, got injury from running means got reach 'standard' already! Can you beat that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin