Pages

Sunday, April 01, 2007

10KM Challenge

This was a race I have been waiting for the past 3 months. In this race, there is only 1 competitor and there is no prize. It is only me running against the clock and against my mind.

Over the past 3 and the half months since I started running, I have set my target to do a proper 10km run by end March. I have deliberately refrained from running a 10km distance so far just so that I can surprise myself, I hope!. My runs have ranged from short 2 km to 12 km but never 10. I wanted to see whether I still have it in me to run a 10k under 60mins.

To most people, 60mins to complete a 10k is a walk in the park. I used to think so too. My PB although not in a race was 51 mins with sifu BC. So why 60mins? Because I think it is a realistic achievable target that will not force me to over-train to achieve. It is also a pace that I hope to be able to sustain for future long runs and if I can maintain for 10k, it should be the base for me to move forward.

So M and me went to ECP. We started at carpark F3 - ran to the toilet where the old '0' km marker was and u-turn and ran to the toilet immediately after the chalets (old '5' km marker) and u-turn back to the start. Distance was approximately 10km +/- 200 metres. Weather was cool but still humid despite the earlier thunderstorm.

Started off slowly with M in front. After 5 mins picked up the speed and overtook M. At the 1st u-turn (about 4km) was about 22 mins; well on target. Turning back, beginning to grasp for breathe as the fast pace took its toil. Slowed down slightly but still find it hard. This is where the mind comes into play. "Take it easy; never mind no prize to win; what if you injure yourself; take a walk; can speed up again" but I know the minute I stopped, I won't be able to resume, not at the same pace anyway. At 5 km was about 28 mins - still within target. Continued at this pace and at 7 km uturn was about 40 mins. Could celebrate now - couldn't see why I can't do the last 3 km in 20 mins but still subconsciously picked up the pace a bit. M was about 200 metres behind me. She has really improved a lot during these 3 months as well.

Yay - Finally finished the 10k challenge with 4 minutes to spare. But gasping for breath. Conditioning still not very good. But I am satisfied. Leg and mind in one piece - no pain, no sore and no giving in to temptation. Now to move on to the next target to meet by end June.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin