Click here for the latest on RunEatGossip »

Monday, November 28, 2005

Review of Training

Just finished reviewing my training for the marathon. Have been following the Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (FIRST) marathon program for the past 16 weeks. This program is meant for those able to run 10 miles (16 Km) and comprises only 3 runs a week (very suitable for people like me with no time to run). It basically comprises a Speed, a tempo and a Long run per week. The caveat was: it was going to be tough and injuries was expected. True enough, twice my shin splint came back due probably to the intensity of the speed work. Also lost 2 weeks to the flu.

What was surprising after my review was that compared to last year when I followed another program from Runner's World was that I had not covered much more total distance this year although I have ran many more longer distances this time round. Last year, in the 16 weeks run up, I did a total of 486 km over 43 runs averaging 30km per week with an average distance of 11 km per run compared to 560 km over 41 runs for a average of 35km per week on ave of 13 km per run. May be I could have covered more if I had not lost the 4 weeks to the flu and leg injury?

Last year, I finished in 5.16:10. Can I do better this year? The shin is still sore hopefully it will not give trouble this Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin