Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Long Slow Run

Did a long slow run on Saturday night. It has been a long time since I ran a 25km run. So long that I don't remember when. Of course, in recent months, I have done races of up to 38km and a few trail races. But those don't count since they were mostly run/walk affairs. So I didn't realise how unfit I was. I mean I have run up to 20km on some weekends so another 5km more? Should be piece of cake. Right? Wrong. 

It all started when the sidekick decided she wanted to do another full marathon and since she hasn't done one at night, she promptly went to sign up for the Sundown Marathon even though I told her I wasn't going to accompany her. But of course me being the nice guy, and despite myself not signing up, I found myself on Saturday night at the East Coast Park fighting sleep and tiredness and running side by side with her. 

Weather was great after an earlier downpour and we ran at what I thought was a fairly fast pace trying to catch up with the group of Newton/Punggol runners that we were supposed to join. We of course as usual were late. But out "fast pace" actually turns out to be more like easy pace (at least to most other runners) and before too long I found myself panting hard. At least I completed the first half in one piece and slightly ahead of the sidekick. But it was a different thing after that as she decided to pick up the pace and soon I found myself lagging behind. The sidekick has in fact become the hero. 

Thankfully, I managed to survive 25km run although now my legs are shot. Luckily we had decided to do just 25km while the group ran up to 30km. Any longer and I think I would have started walking. As it is, it took me close to 3 hours to do the, 25km definitely not fast pace by any standard. Sighed. That really show how unfit I am now. Maybe this is a good opportunity for me to catch up on my runs. But then again, I think I rather enjoy my run/walk in the trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin